This originally ran on Wicked Good Sports, another blog I write for that is run by the fine folks at Comcast Sports Net which televises the Celtics games.
The three major Boston area sports teams have enjoyed quite a run of success recently. Since the turn of the century, the Red Sox have two World Series wins and the Pats have 3 Super Bowl wins (out of 4 appearances). Lately, even the Celtics have gotten into the act, leading the NBA in wins (41) at the All Star break. As fans we have every right to be proud of the teams we follow with as much passion and devotion as any fanbase in the country.
However, the price of all that success is a growing sentiment of animosity from fans of other teams. The rest of the country is flat-out sick of hearing about Boston and they are already lumping us in with the fans of Duke, the Cowboys, and yes even the Yankees. Call it jealousy if you like. Blame the East coast media bias. Blame Bill Belichick. Blame Bill Simmons if it makes you feel better. But the fact is much of the country hates us.
Some of you are totally cool with that animosity. Some of you, in fact, thrive on it. That’s fine, I get it. I can understand the thrill of the “us-against-the-world” rallying cry. I’m not above a little good hearted trash talk (ignoring the fact that I had next to nothing to do with my team’s success or failure). But for most of us it gets old over time. Especially for those of us who have moved out of the New England area and have to live with the Boston fan stereotype all the time. So is there any hope of escaping this fate without compromising our allegiance or our passion? I think so, yes.
I proudly wear my team colors and root as hard as anyone for the Sox, Pats, and Celtics. Yet, a friend of mine told me recently that I was the only New England fan she knew that she actually liked. Another friend of mine complimented me (I think) by saying I did a pretty good job of being the only Boston fan he knew “who is not obnoxious, cocky, and condescending to the rest of the country.” I’m not trying to pat my own back here, I’m just trying to display some proof that what I’m about to lay out actually does work.
Here are some simple steps that anyone can take which will at least give you a shot at not being lumped in with the stereotype of “that Boston fan.”
1. Take an interest in their team. For example, if you are talking to a Trailblazers fan, don’t lead the conversation with “Yeah, the Celts almost had Oden, but look how well it worked out for us!” They don’t care and unless they’ve been living under a rock, they’ve already heard enough about “the big three.”
You know basketball. Talk to them about how great Brandon Roy has turned out. Talk about how great they are going to look next year when the big fella is healthy and contributing to the team. After a while, you might even mention that Roy reminds you of Paul Pierce sometimes. Meaning, the way he can score without blazing speed or athleticism, which bodes well for a long, excellent career. See, you don’t have to avoid your team altogether, but if you show interest in their passion, they will appreciate it.
2. Point out your team’s flaws. It isn’t like you are betraying your team or anything. It is just pointing out the things you are hoping to see fixed or improved. You do it with other Boston fans all the time, why can’t you do it with non-New Englanders? The effect is disarming for those expecting you to prattle on about domination and superiority. In fact, you might even find the other person defending your team - saying something like “Yeah, but the Sox look to be the favorites again this year, no matter what happens with Schilling.”
In fact, you could even take things one step further. You could check your righteous indignation at the steroids scandal and admit that Belichick and the Pats did, in fact, cheat. They were caught red handed, paid the punishment, and used it as a rallying call. Yes, the season they had right up until the Super Bowl was very impressive, but that isn’t going to change the way people feel about Belichick. You don’t have to defend someone who deserves no defense just because he wears your team’s colors. You don’t have to throw him under the bus either. He is what he is, a brilliant football mind that may have wanted to win a little too much and really doesn’t care what most people think of him. Perhaps, in regard to that last point, you should follow suit.
3. Don’t quote Bill Simmons. In fact, don’t even talk about him unless the other person brings him up first. I’ve always been a fan, and unless he starts openly rooting for the Yankees or Lakers, I probably always will be. But despite an often self deprecating style of writing, he’s become the face of Boston over-exuberance and arrogance. Half the nation wants him to light himself on fire so they can pour on the gas. Just avoid it altogether and if you are going to name drop, try your favorite blog (self promotional plug).
Follow those three easy steps, and you should be able to avoid being pre-judged based on the team you are rooting for. It’s pretty simple, really. Don’t be “that guy.” If you find yourself thinking “I could say something that would just set this person right off,” then ask yourself if it is worth it. If the answer is “yes,” then you really are “that guy” and this column wasn’t for you.
It all seems to boil down to respecting other fans and their teams. Show respect, get respect. And maybe if the Celtics manage to get to the Finals in the next couple of years, we won’t have the world rooting against us again.
No comments:
Post a Comment