Sign your kid up for an e-mail address so you can send messages to her future self. All those things you're not writing in the baby book are candidates for a note sent to your child's future inbox.
* Dear Julian, Today you threw a tantrum like none I have ever seen. You have impressed me.
* Dear Holden, Today you said "Mama" in a way that told me you knew exactly how to use that word.
* Dear Julian, I'm on my first business trip away from you, and it's not half-bad.
If you're committed to the paper-based method, check baby's inbox from time to time and print out your messages. Or just wait. When these kids are old enough to open their inboxes for themselves, they can read all the notes you sent them when they were too young to understand. And hopefully they won't see your name in the "From" line and click "This is spam."
I set Kira up with her own Gmail account and sent her first e-mail tonight. I can't to share these e-mails and everything else in the world with her!
Great idea! However, being the person I am, and worrying about losing stuff, I like the idea of printing out the messages - "just in case". They could be put into a scrapbook.
ReplyDelete