Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bookworm

Kira loves books!  This thrills me to no end since I spent 7 years teaching reading to young kids and because children's books are something I have always enjoyed, regardless of my own age.

Kira learned how to turn pages while she was still very little and she has a very long attention span when it comes to storytime - up to 30 minutes at a time!  Some books have been her favorites since day one, and some books come and go as her favorite books of the week.  I can really see how much they teach and excite her.  The doctor got to witness her excitement for books last week and commented on how she should star in a commercial to promote early reading...not to just show that reading is fun, but to show that reading is the coolest thing ever!

I tried to go through the house and pick out her favorite books.  This turned out to be a huge challenge since she has hundreds of books scattered throughout multiple rooms.  I think some of them are also in the car and over at Grandma's house.  I can't wait to dig out all of my picture and chapter books (non-baby board books) from my teaching days that actually have a plot!

[caption id="attachment_1503" align="aligncenter" width="499" caption="The Consistent Favorites"][/caption]

1. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star: She is obsessed with turning the wheel on the side to make the pictures move.

2. Where is Elmo's Blanket?: Elmo AND a Lift-the-Flap book?  How could you go wrong with this one?

3.  Yummy Yucky: Fun pictures.  Kira likes to say, "Yum, yum" and "Mmm" when we read this to her.

4. 123: Her favorite Spanish book...every Spanish book she owns is from Senorita Rachel!

5. Kira's 1st Birthday: I made this book on Shutterfly and she loves it because it is about her!  Thanks to Sarah for the idea!

6. My First Book of Numbers: Kira's early laugh came out when she would see the ducky and kittens.  This book was only $1 at Target!

[caption id="attachment_1504" align="aligncenter" width="499" caption="Favorites of the Week"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1505" align="aligncenter" width="499" caption="Inside the Books"][/caption]

1. Peek-a-Boo in the Berry Patch: She loves the lift-the-flaps and the mirror on the last page.  She likes to kiss (and slobber on) her reflection.

2. Curious Kitties: Fun strings to play with on each page.

3. Dear Zoo: More lift-the-flaps and a doggie on the last page!

4. Sea, Sand, Me: A rhyming book from Grandma and Grandpa Clark that has great pictures and minimal text.  This book is not a board book and gave Kira her first paper cut yesterday.  Unfortunately I did not discover the paper cut until AFTER she smeared blood all over her new shirt and her light pink Pottery Barn armchair.  Luckily, the armchair has a slipcover so I was able to wash it immediately and get all of the blood off.  I can't believe how much blood came from a little cut on a little finger!  She also tried to eat her Hello Kitty band aid so I guess we have to wait a little longer to use band aids!

1 comment:

  1. Kira sure does love books! She likes to go get a book and curl up on our laps. Right now her favorite is "The Wheels on the Bus" because the wheels lght up as it plays the music. She also loves lft the flap books.

    ReplyDelete