Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's In A Name?

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet - Juliet

(You can bet that Jen is already rolling her eyes at the fact that I quoted Shakespeare)

We've decided on a name for our second child.  It will be Logan Bradley Clark!

Neither Logan or Bradley has any family associations that we know of, we just really liked the way they sounded.

What's fun is the fact that our little boy may be destined to be an airplane pilot.  You see, if you are going to fly up to my old stomping grounds of New England you could either fly into Logan Airport in Boston, or also have the option of flying to Bradley Airport in Connecticut (just North of Hartford).

Rejected Names

Finding a name for Kira was relatively easy.  Jen had a name in mind since before she even met me and when I heard it I loved it right away.  Logan Bradley was a little harder to come by, but a lot of fun too.  There were a lot of quality names that weren't picked, and there were some that just didn't work out for one reason or another.  So here are some rejected names that we thought you'd enjoy.

  • Kent Clark - He may be our little superhero, but we couldn't do that to him.

  • Lewis Clark - He could have led an expedition across the Louisiana Purchase with Sacajawea.

  • Clark Clark - Would have been a good excuse to call him "Deuce" but Jen nixed it.

  • Dick Clark - Didn't make our Top 40 Countdown

  • Jeff Jr. - Can't say I was ever a huge fan of my name to begin with.

  • Russell Pierce Larry Cousy Clark - Hey, I had to try.   Pierce wasn't bad but just didn't make the cut.

  • Kendrick Clark - This one did make the top 10 though.  (Kendrick Perkins in the starting center on the Celtics.  He's a big bruiser of a lug.)


I also wasn't a big fan of names that ended with a hard K sound.  So I didn't want to consider names like Luke Clark, Jack Clark, and Mark Clark.  Jen liked the name Jacob but I didn't like the potential shortening of it to Jake Clark.

So there you have it.  A little peek into our creative process for picking a name.

We can't wait to meet Logan Bradley Clark and I'm sure his sister (Kira Lillian Clark) is excited about it too!

6 comments:

  1. woohooo! Great name! Can't wait to meet little Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa and Grandma Carpenter like the name of our still to be born grandson! We have heard some dreadful names that we THINK Jeff and Jennifer were teasing us with lately. We know you put a lot of thought into picking out a name and will be proud to have him in our family along with big sister Kira!

    We knew they have been practicing the name with Kira so whenever we would ask her for her baby brother's name she would say, "Clark". That little girl keeps secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi:

    Congratulations, and I like the name a lot. It sounds impressive--Logan Bradley Clark.
    I wonder if somehow he will get the initials "LB" when he gets to college or even sooner. Anyway,
    I know a few special people who are quite excited about this---including me!

    Love,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pierce is actually a very cool name. You could have borrowed it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! I like your thought process! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very Beacon HIll, old Boston:) Hey, I was going to make just that observation about the airports, but you beat me to it. I'd say either pilot, stock broker, or lawyer.... WE love it!

    ReplyDelete