Tuesday, November 30, 2010

There is always something to be thankful for!

Last week we enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving at my sister's house in Arlington.  Everything was perfect except for one thing...I had no sense of taste.  This was a huge let down for me because I LOVE food, I'm pregnant and have the excuse to pig out, and my sister and her husband had been telling about all of the gourmet dishes they were going to make this year.  It was hard to listen to everyone say how certain dishes were the best versions they had ever had, but I still filled by stomach and tried to enjoy the textures.  I usually don't like spicy food, but I was desperate to taste something and put hot sauce on some of my food (it didn't really work).

This sickness started out as a cold the weekend before Thanksgiving and I still have it today.  It turned into a nasty sinus infection and I'm currently taking antibiotics.  Apparently my pregnancy has made the congestion and breathing even more difficult.  I've lost 4 pounds now in 2 weeks (I'm not trying to) and haven't tasted anything for about 7 days.  For about 4-5 days I had excruciating pain in my head, jaw, and teeth and was basically on a liquid diet.

I have been feeling better the last 24 hours, but at the rate this has been going, I probably won't be 100% for another 4-6 days.  I saw the obstetrician today and he told me he's not worried about the weight loss since Kira was so big and he gave me a free pass to go pig out on some smoothies, milkshakes, burgers, and fries.  Now I'm just hoping that my ability to taste will come back soon so I can enjoy those things!

So even though I couldn't enjoy the food on Thanksgiving, the day still held special meaning for me.  I was still able to be thankful for time with family, food to nourish my body, a wonderful husband who did everything possible to make me more comfortable, a daughter who smiled and laughed all day, and a baby boy that kicked me constantly, letting me know that he was doing just fine.

[caption id="attachment_2018" align="aligncenter" width="199" caption="My Little Turkey"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2017" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Playing Doctor"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2019" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Kira loves Aunt Liane and Uncle Jeremy!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2020" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="I hear it was amazing...Jeremy, you'll just have to make another one!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2021" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Turkey Craft Time"][/caption]

1 comment:

  1. Ugghh...so sorry you were/are sick. I hope you are on the mend now!

    ReplyDelete