Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread House

I think today's advent activity was by far our favorite one yet!  When I used to teach 2nd grade, one of my favorite things to do all year was the party where we made gingerbread houses.  I was so excited to have another day at home today (and not at the hospital) so I could introduce this fun activity to my daughter.

At school we made our houses out of milk cartons, graham crackers, frosting, and candy.  I decided to buy a kit for Kira to use since only one kid would be making a house and I didn't need a lot of materials.  The kit was a lot more fun to use, but the frosting wasn't very good (Kira would disagree with me on this!).  I put together the house and applied the frosting and Kira put on all of the candy.  I was impressed with how neatly she decorated it!  Her favorite part was when we rang a bell and she got to eat a gumdrop.

[caption id="attachment_2059" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Applying Pressure to the Roof"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2060" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Having Fun with the Candy"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2061" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Concentrating!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2062" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Frosting!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2063" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Kira's Gingerbread House"][/caption]

3 comments:

  1. you guys did a great job! I've never in my life made one... maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have just inspired me to this with Wesley and Lydia.

    ReplyDelete