Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hard Pressed, but Not Crushed

I thought I'd share a quick update on myself and Logan.  Thank you for all of your nice e-mails and prayers, we really appreciate them!

I saw a neurologist on Tuesday and was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy.  He had no way of telling me how long it would take for me to recover from this condition.  I am on steroids to help speed up the healing time and getting an MRI of my brain done next week as a precaution.  The whole thing is very complicated to understand but it sounds like this happened because my immune system was suppressed while being pregnant and then my body went through all of the trauma that goes along with childbirth.

On a positive note, I started to see signs of improvement on Tuesday which is the best indicator of healing.  On Tuesday I was able to close my eye halfway and yesterday I was able to close it all of the way (with some difficulty).  Today my eye is the same and I think some of the muscles around my cheek are starting to slowly work again.

Logan was doing well but things went downhill slightly today.  At his appointment this afternoon we found that he had lost a little weight and his bilirubin levels had gone up.  At this point they think that the breastmilk is keeping him from getting past the jaundice.  I am not even going to try to explain why that is, but the solution is to put him on formula for 48 hours this weekend to see if it flushes out his system.  After that we can go back to breastfeeding.  This was very hard news to hear and I broke down crying (a daily occurrence these days).

Despite all of these challenges, we still are enjoying our time as a family.  Kira loves her little brother so much, I am healing from childbirth much more quickly this time, and Logan is such a calm and sweet baby.

Happy New Year!  We look forward to introducing Logan to  you all very soon!

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.   - 2 Corinthians 4: 8-9

6 comments:

  1. Jen, I am glad that your facial muscles are starting to work again and will continue to pray for quick healing. I'm also sorry about Logan's weight gain/jaundice. Every baby is different and our family has definitely had it's share of weight gain issues and jaundice. Madelyn and Isabel didn't gain weight quickly. Isabel still is tiny. Pierce was bright orange for several days. It can all seem so overwhelming and discouraging. I'd love to talk, so feel free to call if you want/need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad for an update, thanks Jen! You're doing the right thing by seeing a specialist - even though I'm sure it's hard to have even MORE dr. appointments!

    I loved the bible verse you chose and will be lifting that before God in your name this coming week. He is with you even through all the emotional moments and difficulties!

    Love the pic of the kids on the blog and the snow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news about your health! Hopefully things will continue to improve quickly!. And for Logan too. You guys are still in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you have ID'ed the problem. Hope that things continue to get better, even slowly. You have enough to take up your time already having a newborn and a big sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to read this update. We're praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great to see you tonight, and you look terrific! Hang in there, this, too, shall pass. I really like that Bible verse, and will be keeping you in my prayers as well.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete