When he got older he passed on the trains to my dad who continued the tradition in our house. My dad also set up a platform in the basement and built some new additions to the display like a tunnel that the trains went through and a helicopter that hung from the ceiling. He stopped putting up the trains for a few years but got some of them back out when Kira was born. He only does a modified set-up on the living room floor now, but Kira loves sitting in there with him just like I did with my grandfather.
[caption id="attachment_2151" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Kira's First Train Experience (December 2009)"]
This year I had the idea of looking for a conductor's hat for Kira, just like the one I used to wear. My mom found one for Kira and my dad on eBay and they opened the hats on Christmas. It is so fun to see the two of them wearing their matching hats. I am so happy that my daughter is starting to form some of the same special memories that I was blessed with from my childhood.
[caption id="attachment_2152" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Special Christmas Present"]
[caption id="attachment_2153" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Kira and Papa"]
[caption id="attachment_2155" align="aligncenter" width="199" caption=""Choo-Choo!""]
That is so sweet.
ReplyDeleteI love this post and all the pictures. It really shows a generational thing that is very sweet.
ReplyDeleteLove it!!! Especially the pictures of your dad and Kira in the matching hats. adorable!
ReplyDeleteWhat a special memory for you and now for your kids. I love the pictures of you with your Grandpa. Very sweet.
ReplyDeleteThis really brings back memories! Can you see the lake (mirror) in the middle with the ducks? Remember how all your cousins in the Pittsburgh area would come to see the trains and they weren't even related to your grandfather?
ReplyDeleteKira (and Papa) were so excited to get a matching hats on Christmas!
My grandfather used to wear one of those hats, and we didn't have trains... but AMEN to precious grandfathers! Love this post.
ReplyDelete