Saturday, May 31, 2008

Beat LA! Beat LA! Beat LA!

Larry Legend

To say that I'm thrilled with the Celtics going to the Finals is a drastic understatement. I've been obsessed with this team for so long and to finally see them back in the Finals is a dream come true. For those unfamiliar with the team, let me give you a quick recap.

The Celtics were the second worst team in the league last year. We thought their only hope was to win the NBA draft lottery and that hope died when we only ended up with the 5th pick. That was rock bottom after 21 years of not winning a championship, many of which were very bad years. Things couldn't get any worse.

Then things got drastically better almost overnight. We traded for two All Stars (Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett) without giving up our own All Star (Paul Pierce) and everything else just fell into place for a storybook season.

Another layer of excitement is the prospect of facing the LA Lakers. More history: In the 70's, the NBA was trailing off in popularity. Then Larry Bird and Magic Johnson arrived and the Celtics and Lakers dominated the 80's, revitalizing the sport. Of course that was how I was introduced to sports. The Celtics were the greatest team ever (16 Championships) and that was good enough for me.

The names and faces have all changed, but the Celtics and Lakers are back where they belong. In the Finals, fighting it out for an NBA Championship. I can't believe it is happening but I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Go Celtics! Beat LA!

1 comment:

  1. I stayed up for the game last night, what a thrill. down by 24 points at the half... so hard to get ahead but stayed there...Lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete