Friday, August 1, 2008

Changing Perceptions

Ok, I'm going way off topic today, but then again, who said there was a topic?  Anyway, I had a thought the other day and I thought I'd share.  My perception of Brendan Fraser and Justin Timberlake totally flip flopped in the last 15 years or so.

In the early 90's Justin Timberlake was a pop star on N'Sync.  I had zero interest in the guy and very little respect for him.  Nothing against him, just not the kind of guy I would admire.

On the flipside, Brendan Fraser put together a couple of decent films that for whatever reason resonated with me.  School Ties was a nice film about a Jewish kid trying to fit in at a Catholic private school.  With Honors was a nice film about a college kid learning life lessons from a bum (Joe Pesci).  Neither one Oscar worthy, but fun to watch and Brendan played likable characters.  (Side note: Ladies, check out the rest of the cast from School Ties - Matt Damon, Ben Afleck, Chirs O'Donnell)

Flash forward to this year.  Brendan Fraser has played a series of roles in movies that range from silly (the Mummy series) to stupid (Airheads).  I saw him on the Espy's and he's just morphed into a big headed goofball with bad hair.  I mean, look at him. Tell me he's not a younger Christopher Walken.

On the other hand, Justin Timberlake has put together a very successful solo career, can dance better than any whiteboy I know, and still manages to not take himself too seriously.  He hosted the Espy's and he was really very entertaining.  Toss in some amusing appearances on Saturday Night Live and you've got yourself a respectable career.  I gotta admit it, I'm a fan now.  Honestly, who would have thought when Timberlake and Britney Spears broke up that we'd be saying "man, Justin dodged a bullet there?"

Just funny how things change with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment