Thursday, January 1, 2009

How I Met Your Mother

Jen and I love TV, but there are only so many new shows we can pick up any season and stick with them.  So some good shows get passed over and we can't into them halfway through.  So Jen has a fun solution.  If she hears about a show she might like, she gets the DVDs and watches them from the beginning.

In fact, she's kinda nutty about it.  Last year she watched all the previous 24 seasons in about 2 weeks.  She was a nervous wreck the whole time.  I think she's watched Dawson's Creek (yes, all the seasons) at least 3 times.

Her latest craze is the series How I Met Your Mother.  I actually really like this show too and I try to catch an episode with her whenever I can.  Good characters and fun story lines with a very Friends-like feel.  I also like the concept of a guy telling his kids all about how he met their mother.  Frankly, I don't think I could tell my kids all the embarrassing details of how much of a dork I was, but there's something endearing about it too.

So for fun, here's my quick story about how I met Jen (for those that haven't heard it already).

I get a call from my friend Jamie who informs me that he's headed to lunch and mini-golf with 5 girls and only one other guy.  He needs a wingman.  Mind you, I'm feeling under the weather, haven't shaved in days, and really wasn't feeling up to it.  But I couldn't argue with the odds and I couldn't let him down.  So I threw on some ugly shirt (probably a Nirvana style flannel left over from college) and headed for Pizzaria Uno's.

I sit down at the table and I look around as I am introduced to everyone.  My mind ticks off that unconscious evaluation of each girl's hotness quotient.  "Cute, cute, ok, cute, ...hey!"  The last one was Jen of course.  She was stunning with her long blonde hair, bright eyes, and big smile.  I couldn't keep my eyes off of her.

We start talking and it turns out that we both went to JMU, except that I graduated the year before she started going.  So we had plenty to talk about, including the same church/pastor that we loved when we were there.

A few days later, we saw each other at Jamie's birthday party and got to talking.  She kept giving me the opportunity to talk to other people, but when I looked around I didn't see anyone I would rather be talking to.  So we ended up talking all night.

It wasn't long before we were "hanging out" and a while later we started dating.  I could go on, but maybe I'll just leave that for when I'm telling Kira about how we met.

2 comments:

  1. so cute!! our first date, which we didn't know would be a date was also at unos! hey, so my aunt gave us "the LOST game" for christmas.. you guys will have to come play! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely have to play your game! Although you might win because I think you guys watched the episodes more recently than us and I've forgotten a lot from the first few seasons...

    ReplyDelete