Friday, June 12, 2009

Ew...Gross!

No, this post is not about one of the many bodily fluids that a parent encounters when taking care of a baby.  It's about me.  Before we went to the beach about a month ago, I went to get a pedicure since I had a gift card.  Everything seemed to go okay and I enjoyed some nice-looking toenails while on vacation. 

About a week ago, the corner of my big toe started to really hurt, especially when it bumped into something.  I thought it was something like an in-grown toenail and decided to just see if it got better on its own.  Two days ago I looked down at my toe and saw that it had a hard, white spot on the skin.  I thought it was something like a blister so I decided to pop it (yes, I know that is probably bad to do).  I will spare you the details, but what came out of my toe was disqusting! 

My theory is that my toe got a small cut while getting a pedicure and I either picked up some bacteria in the foot bath or at the gym class I did later that day in my bare feet (pilates).  I guess it's possible that the cause was something entirely different, but it's enough reason for me to never get a pedicure again.  I've read too many horror stories in magazines and now I experienced it personally.  I think it's healing okay so I'm thankful that it's not turning out like the scary pictures I found on Google images!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wishing I could get one lately but reluctant due to the whole fear of infection esp. while pregnant. Your post only makes me that more reluctant! Glad you're healing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this on MSN:
    http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/simply-chic-blog-post.aspx?post=1133672&gt1=32002

    ReplyDelete