Monday, July 28, 2008

Photo Phun & Dark Knight

I was just looking at the photo Jen added as our header and two things struck me.

  1. Jen looks great.  I mean, I'm always a fan of how she looks, but that's a great pic of her.

  2. I'm making a Bill Simmons face.  Compare with the pic at the top of this page.  Weird.


In other news, I finally saw Dark Knight this weekend.  I loved it.  Best Batman film yet (in my humble opinion).  Great action, interesting plot (though sometimes a bit hard to follow), and Heath Leger as the Joker just steals the show.  That said, I have to agree with my good friend Doug when he disagrees with a subtle point the film seems to be trying to make.  I'll quote him here:
The second point is more subtle. Throughout the climax of the film, the antagonists try to point out to the "good guys" that humanity will tear itself apart given the opportunity. In the end the selected members of humanity don't rend themselves and each other, and the film-maker implies that deep down humanity is good and doesn't seek its own destruction. I categorically denounce this as well. Mankind's propensity for selfishness and evil has been born out since one brother killed another in jealousy. If man kind was so innately just why do we even have government? We need it to protect ourselves from each other.

Couldn't agree more.  Man is inherently evil and only the blood of Christ reconciles us to God.  I think deep down everyone wants to be good because we are made in God's image.  However, our sin nature corrupts that.

You've got to love a film that can make you think and if you see this film with a non-Christian, it might be a good opportunity to steer the conversation in a direction towards faith related themes.  It couldn't hurt.

For my next trick, I'll try to find Spiritual truths in the movie Hellboy.  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. i don't know how i missed this post. i LOVED the Dark Night. definitely the best batman movie. jeff, going to pass along your comment to drew and make him call you! hope you two are great!

    ReplyDelete